Rainwater Collection for Bobwhite Quail & Surrogator

Bobwhite quail don’t usually¬†need supplemental water. In fact, they satisfy most of their water needs from dew and metabolic water. That said, many desert quail do benefit from rainwater collection systems in the wild.

But, bobwhite quail in a surrogator do need water.  And, in the hot TX summer, they drink a lot! Most recently, 120 bobwhite quail drank 75 gallons of water of a 6 week period in July РSeptember 2018.

Since the water tank on the Surrogator only holds 15 gallons, you will need to regularly refill that tank. And, since the Surrogator is best located in a pasture under a tree, the likelihood that you’ve got a hose bib or spigot is almost zero.

A simple rainwater collection system and a small water pump seem to be an ideal solution to carrying water long distances.

I repurposed an old wildlife waterer that had a small 4′ x 4′ collection roof and a 250-gallon tank. I’ve built and used smaller configurations but find that this size almost guarantees I’ll have enough water for the entire summer.

We had a few dry years and expanding the collection surface proved to be very easy.

And then we went and added another just because we could.

In the offseason, I attach a float controlled waterer from Tractor Supply and return the rainwater collector to its original purpose – watering the wildlife!


Quail Surrogator Maintenance

Quail are messy, stinky birds. Your Surrogator is going to need cleaning regularly. The instructions say to power wash it after every cycle. I used to do that but transporting and resetting it every cycle was a PITA. Now, I only clean the Surrogator once yearly after the season.

Your bobwhite quail are going to leave a big pile of poop under your Surrogator. They are also going to make a big mess of the inside of your surrogator.

Fortunately, the Surrogator XL fits nicely into the back of a pickup. A helper is very helpful.

I use a small, cheap power washer to clean mine and it works fine.

It will inevitably pit and rust so use caution with the power washer to avoid washing off too much paint.

I use a side angle grinder with a wire wheel to remove the rust and peeling paint.

I use Rustoleum Flat Black Heavy Duty paint to cover the bare spots after washing and buffing with the wire wheel to protect the bare metal.

I also check, tighten and replace any missing screws to prevent unauthorized entry by varmints and critters.

I’ve used my Surrogator for 8 years and can foresee using for another 20 years. It is very well built and if you take reasonable care of it, it should last for many years!

Bitcoins & Censorship

One of the most valuable aspects of Bitcoin is it’s immutability and censorship resistance.

But, Bitcoin is seen as a threat by many – and those threatened will censor you.

The BBBC Newsletter has been censored by MailChimp.

I’m not arguing that I did or did not violate their acceptable use policies.

I asked and they won’t answer.

I suspect it was the Coinbase referral link I offered you.

Nevertheless, I violated their policies and it is completely within their right to halt my use of their service. They are a private company and not a public institution.

But, censorship is censorship and it’s underwritten by US Govt currency controls and regulations. These regulations are designed to keep people safe – at the expense of their liberty.

Bitcoin threatens that hegemony and many are afraid.

Be brave! Claim your Liberty!

I’m signing off this newsletter b/c I think I’ve laid enough groundwork to help most folks. I’m always available to talk about Bitcoin and help you in any way I can.

You know where to find me…..