I’m in the process of laying the new garden water pipe but it keeps raining and filling Luis’ trench with water. Following that fix, I’ll begin the process of adding two more 2500 gallon tanks at the end of the overflow pipe for additional storage. After that, who knows?
My John Deere Type B Seed Drill needs to be calibrated so that it dispenses the seeds at a predetermined rate – usually pounds per acre. This drill emits seeds based on volume/size rather than weight.
The first step is to get the drill off the ground so you can spin the wheels freely. It’s a delicate operation as there aren’t many safe places to lift the drill.
The drill is quite heavy and there aren’t many places to lift or jack without damaging the axle or gears.
Greasing equipment is a nasty job but definitely worth it. This drill sits outside (too big to fit in the barn) so taking a little extra care is worth it.
The purpose of elevating the drill is to allow you to spin the wheels freely and emit seed. It also requires that you lower the discs to the lowest position so the seed can flow freely through the seed tubes.
Here are my calculations:
Wheel diameter = 86″ or 7.1666′
Row spacing = 7″ or 0.58333′
Tare weight of bottle = 21g
I desire 55#/acre for each of foxtail millet and hegari.
Hegari is first to calibrate since it will plant last.
48g of seeds (plus 21g of tare) needed in each bottle based on calculations from video above.
Loosen and set seed flow lever to 8 based on very faded instructions on the inside of the seed hopper lid for wheat at 60#/acre as a
Turn wheel 20 times and weigh seeds.
The 4 bottles resulted in 51g, 54g, 61g, 67g – so too little and need to open seed flow lever a little bit. Also, the right side feeds more than the left side.
Add 2 notches on the left side and leave the right side alone and will be good enough for millet.
Restart calibration with Foxtail Millet.
The 4 bottles resulted in 52g, 55g, 50g, 45g – again too little and need to open seed flow lever more. Sides appear to be balanced though.
Adjust left side to 8 and right side to 10 and retry.
The 4 bottles resulted in 72g, 62g, 55g, 60g – on average too little but good enough to go with.
I measured my acreage at 1.8 acres and used 100# each of foxtail millet and hegari seeds. I planted each separately at the rate of approx 55#/acre so I should have almost exactly run out of seed at the end of my planting for each seed.
But, the hegari ran out early at 80% planted (20% short) and the millet ran long at 80% over.
As I was cleaning up I noticed that I had not cleaned out the hopper and seed feed mechanism well enough. I use compressed air and was blowing out the seed hopper and all kinds of crap came up from the seed feed gears that I did not notice early in the process.
I need to do a better job of cleaning and prep to get a more accurate planting next time.